Adaptation Action Coalition
A state-led coalition accelerating global action on adaptation to achieve a climate resilient world
Climate change is already affecting everyone on the planet. Vulnerable communities are often hit hardest, though they did the least to cause the problem. We must adapt.
Climate adaptation can bring major benefits to people and the economy. The right investments can make communities safer, stronger, and more equitable. Yet, action has not matched the scale of the crisis. While the world has made progress on raising global ambition on adaptation, far more must be done. We need bold and urgent action to accelerate adaptation.
The Adaptation Action Coalition (AAC) aims to accelerate adaptation globally. This state-led initiative of 40 member countries (and counting) is driving adaptation action to achieve a climate resilient world by 2030. Together, AAC members will foster even greater political ambition on adaptation, turning high-level commitments into targeted, tangible and practical action.
By accelerating global action on adaptation, the AAC will help people, economies and the planet become more resilient and equitable.
Vision, Mission and Purpose
The Adaptation Action Coalition will deliver sector-specific, action-orientated workstreams, focused initially on health, water, locally led action, disaster risk reduction and infrastructure in 2021. The Adaptation Action Coalition will build upon the 2019 UN Climate Action Summit ‘Call for Action on Adaptation and Resilience.’ Where the Call for Action signaled intent and ambition, the Adaptation Action Coalition will drive action through targeted sectoral workstreams and events.
- Vision: The AAC will build a vision for a climate resilient future that puts adaptation at the center of decision-making and takes immediate action now to protect people, economies and the environment.
- Mission: The AAC’s primary aim is to accelerate global action on adaptation to achieve a climate resilient world by 2030.
- Purpose: The AAC will bring together countries of the world to advance progress on the Call for Action on Adaptation and Resilience.
To deliver on this mandate, the AAC’s workstreams will:
- Demonstrate real-world action being taken to respond to climate risks
- Build the evidence base on good adaptation practices
- Support the integration of climate risk into sectoral and national plans
- Highlight equity, inclusion and the Principles for Locally Led Adaptation
Below you can find upcoming events and recordings from past events hosted by the Adaptation Action Coalition.
- Check back soon for upcoming events.
- Watch recording: Adaptation Components of NDCs: A Global Perspective for Countries – August 16, 2022
- Watch recordings: Event Series: AAC Event Series on Turning IPCC Science to Action – March 11, 2022 - April 4, 2022
- Watch recording: Adaptation Action Coalition High-Level COP26 Event – November 2, 2021
- Cairo Water Week – Building Resilient Water Systems: Learning from Best Practices – hosted by Egypt Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Environment – October 26, 2021
- Watch recording: The Journey Thus Far and the Road Ahead: Reflections and Progress on the 2019 Call to Action on Adaptation and Resilience – September 30, 2021
Race to Resilience
The Adaptation Action Coalition partners with and shares common goals with the Race to Resilience, which aims to catalyze action by non-state actors to build the climate resilience of 4 billion people from vulnerable groups and communities. The campaign, led by High-Level Champions for Climate Action Nigel Topping and Dr. Mahmoud Mohieldin, focuses on helping frontline communities to build resilience and adapt to impacts of climate change, which include extreme heat, drought, flooding and sea-level rise.
Cover image credit: Neil Palmer (CIAT)